Wednesday, September 13, 2006

look, everyone's still alive, okay?!


asian people's lives revolve around food. what to have, where to have it, the relative merits of it, everything inbetween.

i must say i'm enjoying having to cook. on monday i made thai green curry with beef, but with just water instead of coconut milk. partly cuz coconut milk is unhealthy, but mainly because we didn't have any in the house. it turned out so spicy that when i was cooking it, the smell wafted over the house and my housemate's eyes watered and she couldn't stop sneezing/breathe, so she had to run out onto the balcony, into a chilly night, and stood there, shivering.

hm, warmth or the ability to breathe, tough choice.

but cooking is great. from simple stirfrys [stirfries?] to cauliflower and pumpkin curry, to pasta with chicken in a olive oil sauce, to ma po tofu, to lemon chicken and mediterranean grilled vegetables, to beef stew and to udon noodles in a miso soup base with prawn and vegetable tempura [in which we set off the fire alarm in the house, in which it took us an hour to clean up the kitchen cuz the bag of tempura flour exploded, in which we used wayyyyyy too many dishes], i've been quite enjoying the whole dinner preparation thing. it's not hard to make yourself a meal, especially of the everything-in-one-dish variety.

tonight i think i'll attempt phad thai. but i'll mangle it by adding non-thai veggies like eggplant, cuz hey, we have it in the fridge.

4 Comments:

At 9:57 pm, Blogger Joachim L. said...

Deja Vu!!!

I was cooking Malaysian Curry and the bloody spices were so strong that my housemate started sneezing and I couldn't stop coughing. Had to shut the door in the end.

I added eggplant and frozen peas into my curry too.. Just coz those are the only veggies I have. Lol. Hmm.. I tried adding milk (skimmed mine you) into it and tasted quite alright too..

Bleh. But it's the not the cooking which is hardest part.. it's the cleaning up, isn't it. I spent 15 minutes cleaning up the mess I made. :s

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger LX said...

i've cooked up a pretty good pad thai before... fried-noodle wok-fry is pretty damn easy yeah?

 
At 2:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm...

that dish in the pic looks good. :p

bob

 
At 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Regine Bean! I don't think I've commented on your blog before, but rest assured I have checked in every now and then, much like one would with regards to a psychiatric facility. How goes your life? Wilst thou be in Lumpy Koala in January of yonder year? If thy answer be yea, we must maketh plans to gather for merry cheer.

Your greatest fan,
SLG xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home